Tuesday, May 8, 2012

One America 500 Mini Marathon

 

The OneAmerica 500 Festival Mini Marathon

A view from the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.

 

Despite my extremely poor performance and lack luster finish (and the pain, Dear God the PAIN), I really did enjoy this years Indy Mini.

IMG_1494

Happy face before the pain set in.

As always the Expo was packed.  They always place bib pick up in the back of the expo so you are forced to push your way through the crowd to get your bib and of course are distracted by the shinny objects along the way.  Then if you want to leave you must plow back through the crowd and avoid eye contact with vendors who want to rub you down, feel your feet, and sell you the next best thing.  It’s really the perfect set up to get lost for 2 days and never get a single thing accomplished.  I avoid it like the plague, get the packet and get out like I’m on a stealth mission.

IMG_1498

View from my corral.  Very similar to crowd at the expo, oh wait, all these people were there at the same time too?

This is the biggest half marathon in the country. Around 35,000 registered and 31,179 people actually finished it.  Me personally I finished 10,721st for the women.  That means I bean exactly 6,064 other people. Boom Baby!!!  Makes not feel so bad about a crap performance.  That is until you look at the winners. George Towett for the men finished in 1:05:08 (4:59 pace) and Lilian Mariita for the women finished in 1:15:23 (5:46 pace).  And I know these are slower times than in the past for winners due to the ungodly heat this year. The men's record is 1:01.54 set in 2002 by Gabriel Muchiri. The women's record was set in 2003 by Albina Ivanova with a time of 1:11.24. That cray!!!!!

54347-67b52

Way to go George!!!

 

And lets not forget the Wheelchair division.  These guys and gals can haul some serious butt.  And from where I usually start in the corrals you get to see them coming around the last curve heading for the straight away as we are just getting to the start line.  Hi, I just walked 3 blocks in the time it took you to run a mini marathon on your hands… It always brings tears to my eyes every time I see it.  Last year the wheelchair winner actually stopped to help another participant change a tire on his chair and went on to dominate.  This year the Wheelchair winner was Joshua George in 47:45.  Maybe he could pull me in a wagon next year?

54343-88271

 

Indy really beefed up the aid stations this year due to the heat.  They had 11 total water/Gatorade stations and I saw countless number of ambulances and medic tents parked along the route, unfortunately most of them were in use by people huffing oxygen or sipping OJ to bring up blood sugars.  I made sure to take liquid at every station though that might have been over kill seeing as I felt like a tick about to pop by the finish.  I ran through at least 4 misting station and there was even one woman on the side of the road with her hose helping out. Thank you ma’am!!!

 

My husband said he saw a Taco and The Avengers cross the finish line.  I saw a pack of police officers dressed in full riot get-up.  There were also a brigade of firefighters in their full get-up, of course they go to use their oxygen the whole time.  I even saw someone with a tee-shirt that read “Running with a Recycled Heart” and another that read “I am running with Leukemia, it’s not running me.” 

Images from along the course of the 2012 Mini-Marathon in Indianapolis.

Many people set up along the race route and “cheer” you on.  And you name is on your bib in really big letters so there is always someone shouting your name and telling you not to give up.  This year seemed to have an abundance of “young” bands.  Some good and some not so good but all of them made me smile. The 10 year olds doing Journey was my favorite!!!

 

There is not much bad I can say for this race.  They have it down pat and I will probably do it again in the future.  Well that is to say if I have feet to run on I will.  Oh, and don’t forget your sunscreen…

 

IMG_1501

Anybody got some aloe vera????

1 comment:

  1. I agree with it all, awesome race. We will run it again...let's get Ali out of high school first!

    ReplyDelete