Sunday, April 22, 2012

My socks made me fail

 

This morning was PERFECT weather for a run.  Now, if only I had a body designed for running I could be really happy.  But alas, I have a broken down, aging, slightly overweight body that can’t seem to move as fast as it used to.  I did not let that get me down.  Out I went and into uncharted territory (no really, I went down some back country roads that I was not sure would take me back to civilization.)  The plan was to go 10 miles.  As we all know plans are meant to be broken.  After a mile of warming up my left foot I felt good.  I kept it at a slow pace, purposely, because I knew that there was no way I was going to be able to make it 10 miles at a 10:00 pace.

IMG_1464

True story, couldn’t find matching socks today.  Hope the horses didn’t mind my lack of style.

 

Around mile 4 I could feel that my knees were not going to hold up well.  This last month has been spent exclusively on the treadmill and with no incline, which has been good for the feet but not good for training.  I almost died near mile 7 then pulled it back together after a particularly rough hill and finished up with 8.3 miles.  The route I chose today had so many hills.  Why are there so many hills?????  And asphalt, why is it so hard???? I think I will have to get a few more outside runs in to get ready. Hey Jen, how's your training going? 

 

IMG_0140

Sorry I asked… I’ll assume that it is going as well as mine. Let’s just make sure we are not last.

Our goal is to NOT die on May 5th. That and avoid the dreaded DNF.  We could take the wagon with us and take turns towing each other every other mile.

 

Guess what I saw this morning in the field next to my house.

IMG_1462

Yeah, that’s corn.  In April!!!!  Who are these farmers and why are they planting so early.  It’s suppose to frost tonight.  Do they have really large sheets that they are going to place over the corn tonight to prevent crop failure much like my grandma Dolly used to do to her garden?  I know it was really warm here in March but golly gee wiz…it won't be knee high by July, it will be knee high by June!!!

 

Only six more working days until my next vacation.  Hurry up May 2nd!!!

What are you looking forward to?

No comments:

Post a Comment