Monday, September 12, 2011

Racing Weight

 

This girl, AKA my sister Jen, and I are going to run a 10K this coming Saturday.

19049_1207628831823_1261758468_30515086_7049276_n

She’s “special.”

Don’t ask why she has a tutu, just know that I bought it and it gets used often.

Due to the pending race I did not run a long distance today.  Only 2.5 miles but I did do some work with free weights and the exercise ball.  During this run I encountered two angry dogs who made threats against my life as well as called me names.  At least this is how it seemed when they came barreling towards me down the road.  I also found a very depressing and somewhat disturbing scene of a dead turtle with his shell broken in half and his insides spilling out.  That turtle keeps popping in my head, totally gross.

19049_1207628471814_1261758468_30515077_5723957_n

I don’t wanna run anymore…

I know Jen, but your gonna do it whether you like it or not, you can complain the whole time with me and then we will eat big greasy cheeseburgers afterwards.  Buck up, buttercup!!!

n1261758468_30218808_3379453

It’s a gigantic toddler.

We will also be getting this juvenile delinquent ready for Homecoming.  I plan on posting plenty of pictures of this process in order to embarrass her properly.  Until then I’m taking it easy this week and will be reading through a new book that I purchased called “Racing Weight” by Matt Fitzgerald.

 I bought the quick start edition because I’m lazy and want the cliff notes version.  It’s basically a book for athletes that need to lose fat but maintain the ability to train and reach their “racing” weight.  It’s not a fad diet but a very systematic approach to eating and exercise to keep things in balance for the “elite” athlete.

Now I’m no “elite” athlete but I also know my workouts suffer when I try to “diet”.  I need a plan, to know what to give my body in order to train well and get better.

I also read about weight loss in correlation to your mile times.  It was probably on the internet somewhere but from what I remember you can cut around 3 seconds off your mile for every pound you lose.  Well, I’ve got like 40 more pounds to lose.  That would be 2 minutes off my mile.  I could run like the wind at that pace.

So, I’ll read through the book and give it a try and let you know how it goes.

 

Do you feel you are in your best “racing” shape? I know I’m not…yet.

4 comments:

  1. Nice pictures of me. Ok, I have to admit the one holding Ali makes me laugh everytime. We could try and recreate that this weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please make your sister run the 10k while wearing the tutu. That would make it SO much more fun.

    Also, the book sounds pretty interesting. Give us a little review when you're done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You both should wear a tutu! I would appreciate that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, give us a review of the book and then give it to me to read. That is an order.

    ReplyDelete